Have you ever misplaced something...maybe your sunglasses, your wallet, or your car keys? Then maybe you can relate to the lady in this video: Have you seen my keys?
As the video mentions, the signs of Alzheimer's may be right in front of you. So, before anyone panics, take a look at the entire list:
10 warning signs of Alzheimer's
- Memory loss that disrupts daily life
- Challenges in planning or solving problems
- Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home, at work or at leisure
- Confusion with time or place
- Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relationships
- New problems with words when speaking or writing
- Misplacing things and losing the ability to retrace steps
- Decreased or poor judgement
- Withdrawal from work or social activities
- Changes in mood or personality
Now, consider this: everyone with a brain is at risk for developing Alzheimer's.
Just last month (March, 2015), the Alzheimer's Association published the latest statistics on Alzheimer's Disease. The information in this video will blow your mind! Please take the time to watch it.
2015 Alzheimer's Facts and Figures
As a Speech Language Pathologist, I work with geriatric patients every day. As a group of professionals, I believe we play an important role in working with an aging population.
- SLPs assist in differentiating between normal aging and disordered communication.
- SLPs provide vital treatments for people who have cognitive communicative impairments.
- SLPs have a role in preventing communication disorders by promoting a healthy lifestyle and educating patients and family members about how to prevent disorders that may lead to impairment.
Whether you are a therapist, friend or the family member of a person with dementia, I believe knowledge is power. To get more information about Alzheimer's Disease and its related dementias, I recommend you go to alz.org. The information and resources there are priceless!
Thanks for reading...have a fantastic week!
You will know the truth and the truth will set you free.